Passwordless - Magic Links
Farther is Going Passwordless!
A better, more secure experience has arrived at Farther.
- We are eliminating the use of passwords to login in favor of an easier, more secure approach in order to create the best possible experience for you.
- From now on, when you go to farther apps (web or mobile), you will enter the email which is linked to your account (and is your current login user name). You will receive an email from us with a unique magic link. You will click the link and you’re in - it’s that easy.
What you need to do:
- Update your mobile app if you use it, and then enjoy the new experience!
- We are building the easiest wealth management experience possible at Farther. Passwords are one of the most frequent stumbling blocks for clients - generating a secure password, remembering it, and keeping it in sync with a password manager are significant blockers to getting things done. This is particularly true given that most clients are confident that Farther is taking care of their money and they only check in occasionally.
- SMS verification (e.g. text message codes), while convenient, is a constantly shifting environment as the wars between big carriers and spammers ebb and flow. Many big carriers are increasingly filtering verification codes in an effort to squash spammers - leading to a bad experience for our clients - and we’re not going to take it anymore!
- Passwords are a significant surface for attack from hackers - most people use the same password across many platforms, so a compromise on one is a compromise on all.
- Farther’s platforms are absolutely secure, but a best principal of security is to minimize the attack surface area. By going passwordless, we are eliminating the possibility that your password can be stolen.
- Each magic link is unique and can only be used once.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What if I do not see the email in my inbox?
Please also check your spam folder if you do not see the email in your primary inbox. If you still do not have the email, please contact your Farther Advisor to troubleshoot. Or you can email email@example.com
What happens if my link expires?
Your emailed magic link will expire after 10 minutes. If your link expires, simply enter your email on the Farther login screen again and click submit to send a new link.
What? No password?! Mind explosion!
We know it seems weird, but we are living in an amazing age where we are witnessing some amazing innovation in security as the internet continues to become the center of people’s lives. Zero knowledge Proof, Decentralized Trust - I know we think it’s cool too. Passwordless is one of those great things and Farther is proud to be the first to bring this to wealth management and lead the way to an easier AND more secure future.
What if someone intercepts my email with my secret link?
The link is only good from the context in which it was requested (e.g. the device). It wouldn’t do any good for someone on another computer or phone to have your link - they can’t login with it.
What if my email or phone is compromised?
There is always going to be a place to access information. We could make our systems 100% secure by completely removing them from the internet, but that would lead to an unsatisfying experience. By going passwordless, we are eliminating an access vector (the direct login) and moving it to your email (which also likely is linked to your phone). Google (e.g.) is in the business of securing identities for billions of people, has decades of experience doing it, and has invested vast sums of money building the infrastructure to do so. From your side, you are most likely in a natural practice of securing those things and don’t really think about doing it because it’s so natural. So now security for your wealth is that natural too!
Can I use a password?
We will not support passwords effective immediately. I am assuming that if you ask this you might be running your own security schemes which means that you will appreciate that passwordless is at the cutting edge of security!